What is the Careers Journey?
The purpose of the Blackpool Careers Journey is to describe the careers offer available to children and young people in preparing for the world of work. The offer is delivered by a range of partners working with school and colleges including the Lancashire Careers Hub, the Enterprise Adviser Network, careers providers and the Blackpool Opportunity Area programme. The Blackpool Careers Journey will support schools and colleges achieve the Gatsby Good Careers Guidance Benchmarks, the industry quality standard.
Start Blackpool, a new digital careers platform? Tell me more…
U Explore has just been appointed to support all young people in realising their potential and prepare them for future work by providing digital access to a careers platform to support their decision-making on leaving school. The on-line careers guidance portal will enable each young person to record information on their enterprise activities as well as helping them complete on-line CVs and other interactive activities, including future jobs and skills signposting. The company already offers Start – a free, innovative and easy-to-use online careers guidance portal for schools and college where all young people can set up their own personal profiles to make better and more informed choices about their career pathways.
As part of this collaboration U Explore will create a customised version of Start for Blackpool (Start Blackpool) to promote future local employment opportunities by:
- Creating an engaging and comprehensive outline of the Blackpool, Wyre and Fylde economy;
- Delivering a homepage and Job Bank to identify the areas “hot jobs”;
- Making a short youth-led film to showcase local strengths, aspirations and opportunities;
- Creating a bank of user-generated videos – 3 minute heroes – from people working in the region;
- Delivering tailored e-learning activities to guide young people through local Labour Market Information. Current proposals include:
- Addressing stereotypes (KS2, KS3)
- Overview of the local labour market (KS3, KS4 and KS5)
- Introduction to local role models (KS3, KS4 and KS5)
- Researching the local labour market (KS4 and KS5)
- Post 16 destinations (KS4)
- Post 18 destinations (KS5)
When will this start?
Young people in schools and college will be introduced to Start Blackpool in the 2018/19 summer term in preparation for full implementation from the autumn term 2019/20.
Who are the key contacts?
U Explore: Sarah Briggs will be the school and college lead and will be in touch with your Careers lead in January 2019 to provide advice and support in making the best use of the service: email@example.com
Enterprise Co-ordinator: Andrew Heydeman will ensure the service fully contributes to each school and college achieving the Gatsby Benchmarks: Andrew.Heydeman@inspira.org.uk
Blackpool Careers Journey : Mike Taplin leads on the Opportunity Area Programme’s activities on preparing young people for work. : firstname.lastname@example.org